Saturday, December 1, 2012

Gratitude

Gratitude is a virtue.
Gratitude is often thought to be the parent of all other virtues.

In these last few days I sit and think of what I could be grateful and thankful for.  I think of the people, the actions, and things that make me feel gratitude.

You know, you don't do something or complete an action or service with the intent of discovering gratitude as your end result.  There are people that do that.  I do not have space for anyone in my life like that, but I am aware that they exist.  Their actions are dependent on the strength of the gratitude or "Thank you" they may receive.

There is an energy created between two people.  Sometimes good.  Sometimes bad.  There is an energy that you either wish to continue or not.  It is or can be a great game of volley.

Because you ARE this to me,
Because you make me feel this,
When you ____
I feel ____

It is never
Because I want you to do this
Because I want you to feel this

It is simply because 
You made me feel something,
& I want to keep the energy going 
between these two 
vastly different beings.

I think of anyone who would bother to come to my show simply because I asked them to.  I asked them as a friend, as an individual, and not as just a number or a variable in a social marketing word problem that no one is trying to solve.  It is an honor to witness that act.  The act of the individual friend taking the time to do the thing you asked of them.  And words do not convey the appropriate return-serve, but hopefully my actions will.  And thus, we keep the idea of gratitude moving.

Ingratitude can show itself at this time too.  Or it makes the non-action of others show you where you've been filed in their lives.  Do you help the friend in need?  I will always say yes.  When do you know you have been taken advantage of?  Do you help, for example, the friend by storing their belongings in your home when they have nowhere else to live?  I say yes.  Aware that therein lies the opportunity to be taken advantage of if the friend in question is not truly a friend or decent individual like those we've mentioned before.

Gratitude, for me, is simple.  Always be yourself.  Always be true to someone.  Always remember if/when someone makes you laugh.  If I follow these, I seem to end up surrounding myself with others that do the same, and we are able to share, and support each other, and to return the serve.  Anyone that makes you question one of those simple steps is not an energy force around which you should live.

No comments: